Car insurance Netherlands

Third party liability coverage

Mandatory minimum level of coverage.
It covers damage to other people’s property if you cause an accident. Your own car is not covered. Inexpensive car insurance.

Liability + restricted comprehensive coverage

Covers damage to other people’s property if you cause an accident, as well as damage to your car windows, damage to your car due to a storm or fire, and theft of your auto.
Damage to your car is not covered if you caused it yourself.

Comprehensive coverage

Maximum level of coverage.
It covers all of the risks as well as damage due to vandalism and any damage you cause to your own car, including in case of an accident.

Comprehensive car insurance

Comprehensive insurance, also known as ‘all-risk’ car insurance, covers any damage you cause, even to your own car. This type of cover is recommended if your car is less than 3 years old. It will generally cover most situations, although certain exclusions may apply. At this level of coverage some insurance providers will waive the deductible excess if you have the damage repaired by a designated repair shop.

Insurance for an imported car

If you are moving to Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Eindhoven, Den Hague or elsewhere in the Netherlands and would like to bring your car, you will need to import your automotive. You can do this through the Dutch Department of Road Transport (RDW). You can apply for Dutch car insurance while you are still in the process of importing your car. Once your car has been imported, it is considered a Dutch car and therefore no special regulations apply.

Temporary car insurance

Only need car insurance for a limited time? Some insurance providers offer short-term car insurance policies, with a few options specifically designed to cover the time it takes to import your car. If you are in the Netherlands as a short-term expat, you will be able to cancel your regular car insurance as soon as you sell or export the car you used during your stay.

Great Attitudes, Better Service.

Cheap car insurance quotes from different providers?

Frequently Asked Questions

Which documents do I need to apply for car insurance?

You will need:

  • Your passport
  • Your driver’s license
  • Your car registration documents
How do insurance companies calculate my premium?

Insurance providers will determine your car insurance premium based on the following data:

  • Your age
  • The number of years you have had car insurance without causing damage
  • The current value of your vehicle
  • Your place of residence
  • Your preferred level of insurance cover
  • Your selected level of deductible excess
How does the Dutch bonus-malus system work?

Insurance premiums in the Netherlands differ based on your no-claims status. The longer you have been insured without claiming damages, the cheaper your new premium. This bonus can add up to a discount of as much as 80%. If you make a claim for damages, your no-claims status will often be downgraded and your premium will go up (malus). You can protect your premium by purchasing additional ‘bonus protection’ cover.

How do I get a no-claims discount?

As a new arrival in the Netherlands, you will need to ask your old car insurance provider(s) abroad to verify your no-claims status in writing. You can then submit this to your new insurance provider to qualify for a no-claims bonus. If you already have car insurance in the Netherlands, your no-claims status is centrally recorded for all insurance providers to see and you do not need to do anything.

What happens to my insurance cover if I travel outside the Netherlands in my car?

Your insurance documents contain a so-called green card. This green card constitutes proof of insurance cover extending beyond the Dutch border. The card lists the countries that are covered by your motor vehicle insurance. This typically includes most of Europe. If you are planning to travel outside of the Netherlands we recommend that you carry this green card at all times.

Are there special insurance rules for foreign cars?

All cars using Dutch public roads must have liability insurance in their country of registration, which covers the vehicle in the Netherlands. If you have imported your car and it is now registered in the Netherlands, it is no longer considered a foreign vehicle and can therefore be insured just like any other Dutch car. If you are looking to register your vehicle in the Netherlands, please visit the RDW website for more information.

Are there special rules for classic car insurance?

Each insurance provider has their own definition of a classic car, depending on the age and make of the vehicle. The minimum age requirement for the car ranges from 15 to 25 years. All classic cars must have liability insurance, but you can also opt for restricted or fully comprehensive coverage.

Insurance providers typically determine the premium for classic car insurance policies based on the appraised value of the vehicle, disregarding such factors as the driver’s age and no-claims status. The terms and conditions for classic car insurance policies are tailored to the needs of classic cars.