Home insurance Netherlands

Building and fire insurance

Building insurance will cover damage to the building itself and anything that is connected to it, provided the damage is caused by an unforeseen event. It typically includes damage due to:
    • Burglary and theft
    • Fire, smoke, soot, and fire fighting activities
    • Explosions
    • Heavy weather such as high winds, lightning, heavy rain, snow
    • Flooding
    • Frost damage, such as frozen water pipes

Household contents insurance

Household contents insurance covers your personal property: anything that is in your house, but not attached to it.
It typically covers:
  • Furniture
  • Electronics
  • Curtains or blinds
  • Valuables such as jewellery or watches
Home contents insurance will usually cover damage to personal property due to unforeseen events and circumstances including fire, burglary, robbery, theft. Policies will often cover personal belongings in your home or garden up to a fixed total value.

Home Insurance in the Netherlands

Home insurance requirements in the Netherlands differ depending on whether you are a tenant or a homeowner. If you are a homeowner, your mortgage lender will require you to have an insurance policy covering the building, known as an opstalverzekering. If you own an apartment, the owners should have a joint building insurance policy, possibly through the owners’ association. Whether you choose to insure the contents of your home is up to you, although it is recommended and sometimes required under your rental agreement. According to the Insurers’ Association, 96.7% of Dutch people were covered by a home contents insurance policy in 2014.

Additional Valuable Items

Some insurance providers may offer additional coverage for particularly valuable pieces such as jewellery, art, or electronics, which must be purchased on top of your home contents policy. Regular home contents insurance policies typically only cover single items up to a fixed value, which is outlined in their terms and conditions. You can adjust this fixed value to ensure that your belongings are adequately covered. Of course this will affect the price of your policy.

Great Attitudes, Better Service.

Home Insurance Quote For You And/Or Your Family?

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need fire insurance?

You do not need a separate fire insurance policy, since fire damage is covered by your building insurance and your household contents insurance.

Can I take out landlord insurance?

Yes. If you own a property in the Netherlands and are renting it out, building insurance is recommended. In fact, your mortgage lender will usually require it. Aside from building insurance, landlords may consider legal expenses insurance. This will cover you in case your tenants lodge a claim against you. If you are looking to take out building insurance for a rental property, please let your insurance provider know as special terms and conditions may apply. Your tenants will be able to take out their own household contents insurance.

Can I take out tenant insurance?

If you are renting a house or an apartment in the Netherlands, you may want to insure your personal property against fire, theft, and other damage. You can do so by taking out household contents insurance. You do not need building insurance.

Are my belongings covered by household contents insurance when I take them out of the house with me?

Most household contents insurance policies do not include out-of-home coverage, but you can purchase special additional coverage for valuable items such as jewellery and laptops that you routinely take with you. The terms and conditions of your policy will outline your exact coverage.

Can I get a discount on my Household Contents Insurance?

Insurance providers may offer various discounts:

  • Expat discounts
  • Package discounts if you purchase several policies
  • Discounts due to particular security or anti-burglary features installed in your home

Please check with your insurance provider to find out what discounts you may be entitled to.