International student insurance in the Netherlands

 In Articles

As an international student in the Netherlands you will need to arrange some insurance matters when you arrive. First and foremost, Dutch law requires anyone living in the Netherlands to be covered by health insurance. If you own a car and are bringing it to the Netherlands for the duration of your stay, you are also required to have car insurance to cover any damage or injury to third parties.

Health insurance for international students

The type of health care insurance you need as an international student in the Netherlands depends on your personal situation:

For students who work

If you have a (part time) job or are doing an internship while studying in the Netherlands, you are obliged to take out basic health insurance with a Dutch insurance provider. Some insurance providers offer student discounts on health insurance. You can choose to add extra coverage, such as dental insurance. Most students qualify for zorgtoeslag (healthcare benefits) from the Dutch Tax Authority as they are on a low income.

For EU students who don’t work

If you do not have a job or internship and are from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, you will be covered by your healthcare insurance from your home country. In this case, you will need to ask your insurance company for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

For non-EU students who don’t work

If you do not have a job or internship and are not from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, you will need to make alternative arrangements, for example by getting a private health insurance policy with international coverage. Please ask your current health insurance provider if they offer international student insurance.

Car insurance in the Netherlands

Any vehicle driving on Dutch roads must be covered by car insurance with liability coverage. There are three different levels of car insurance cover to choose from:

  • Third party liability coverage (mandatory minimum level of coverage)
  • Liability + restricted comprehensive coverage (third party liability as well as damage to your car windows, storm or fire damage and theft)
  • Comprehensive coverage (maximum level of coverage, includes damage you cause to your own car in case of an accident)

Other common types of insurance in the Netherlands

Aside from mandatory health and car insurance coverage, students in the Netherlands often choose to take out household contents insurance for their personal belongings and personal liability insurance to cover any damage they accidentally inflict on others or their property.

Insurances in the Netherlands explained

Car-, Health-, Home-, Travel-, or Liability insurance? We get you covered. (☎ call at local rate)
Insurance Law Netherlands